Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Reactions


Today, we briefly talk about how much I love bacon. I didn't grow up in a kosher house, and my grandparents, foodies themselves, had long ago disregarded their religious obligations for shellfish and Chinese food. There is only shame when I tell friends or family more dedicated to tribal traditions. I think this is on my mind abit more than usual because today was the Falafel 5k at the JCC and I didnt go. I went the last two years with pathetic times, and this was going to be the year I killed it. I'm sore,and my body says to just go for a bike ride and stretch out the extreme soreness I am experiencing from kicking ass. Wearing heels last night did not help.

primal living does not give me a free ride to live solely on bacon, although you will lose a good amount of weight if you went there. If I was to go to that extreme I would have to worry about kidney stones and my palate getting bored. Like anything in life that requires discipline there are ground rules: only buy quality, organic, humanely raised meats with no additives and since its the only thing I eat with sodium, I try to only have it a few times a week. Justin would like some daily.
Top Ten Bacon Indulgences So Far
  1. Chicken, Bacon and Avocado Salad
  2. Bacon and Cabbage
  3. Bacon and Brussels Sprouts
  4. Spinach, Roasted Red Peppers, Bacon Scramble
  5. Bacon to start stews (cook your onions and garlic in the fat)
  6. Bacon and Cantaloupe platter
  7. Bacon and Shrimp lettuce wraps
  8. Apple, bacon and walnut stir fry
  9. Bacon, Chicken and Greens
  10. Good ol Bacon and eggs, with Sliced tomatoes

I do have some non-bacon guilt running though my blood right now. I am not at a crossfit make-up class right now. I debated with my quads for awhile, and while they sympathize with my love of going, they are pleading for me to chill.
I did a serious amount of squats last week. 75 overhead squats on Friday alone. Good news: my legs look stellar, side-effect: sitting takes an extra 15-20 seconds. Recovery is faster than before, but I do get excited when I feel sore. I KNOW I pushed hard.

I havent lost a pound this week but thats okay. Clothes are falling off of me, including some I just got. Some Im only a week from getting into. Just because I can button the pants doesnt mean the world deserves to see me in them...

Day 36 of my challenge, and I wanted to touch on the reactions of others. As Spring comes into full bloom, Asheville's social scene is back in full force. As I bounce from commitment to commitment, I am taken aback by the impact my story, or even this blog is having on my friends. As I sipped on water at a backyard party, Im lost on how to react to praise of others. I lose the ability to explain exactly what Im doing and why, and for the people who know and are supportive, I want them to focus that energy back on themselves. Their own awesomeness.

I am aware of their frustrations with doing cardio 5x/week and not going anywhere. With living an aware life, and not seeing results. Im flattered by their support and equally wanting to support them in their goals. Likely, I look like a dear in headlights but those exchanges of ideas and love encourage me to not get weak. You hold me accountable, just by being my witness. Thanks for the advice too. Cold showers are coming my way.

The more I read though, the more I realize our bodies will resist the conventional wisdom on diet. Ill watch the 'Biggest Loser' and cringe at the low-fat, calorie inout, high impact, processed food endorsed method. I cheer when they lose weight and hit physical milestones, but I feel their suffering. They are hungry and still have cravings, and when do they recover? Why do they judge them on the scale alone? What a heart breaking experience...

If I could give any advice that anyone (including my vegan friends) could use it would be to cut out processed foods and sugar.

Books I would like to read but are not in the budget for another month:

Good Calories, Bad Calories

Primal Blueprint

The Vegetarian Myth

Now go outside, why are you wasting away in front of your computer screen? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment