Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Discipline



Ok party people, today was my first day back at Crossfit since OnRamp finished last week. Drank my water, ate my egg and didnt kill a bird on the way to downtown. Good start.

I got in there in enough time to watch two of my former sidekicks finish a wicked looking workout. Jumpropes, Squats and Deadlifts, oh my.

I wanted to scream 'Hey! ROCK IT OUT!' but its their first day with a new group so I will hold back the embarrassing 'mother' moment for some other date. There is also a familiar face in the crowd, a popular local blogger who Ive interacted with online before. I haven't said anything to him though. Well, truthfully I don't say much of anything to anyone at Crossfit.

Its pretty damn humbling.

I bounced on over to the pull up bars, to see if Ive improved with the gray band. Not so much. Clearly I was holding back...

Our skill work today was push press. I got up to 48lbs, which is nothing compared to some other people (there are some powerhouses in my new class!), but it was the first time I actually struggled with a new goal, actually failing on the 5th rep. Shanna said to give myself three minutes, and try again. 1,2,3... struggle struggle...4...breath breath and UP! 5! It worked!

WOD

AMRAP 15 Minutes

90 Single Unders (jump ropes)
20 Deadlifts (38lbs)
10 Squats (with 8lb dumb bells)

I did three sets (I THINK!)

So lets talk about this. When I am doing these workouts I lose my ability to perform basic math skills, like counting. After tackling today's 'ready, set, go' I was trying to think through what exactly I did. I wrote three sets down on the board and in my book, and I remember doing 3 sets of jump ropes, right? What if I only did two? UGH!

But you know what Ive been meaning to say.. I really love having coaches. Shanna drew a smiling face on the ground for me to stare at since I like to look up (pleading with God) during my deadlifts. The occasional 'NICE' 'GOOD' 'TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT GOT IT' is helping me stay in the game when my body, trained by me to give up, fights me.

Had another cheat free day on Paleo, 56 more to go! More about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment